How to Disown Your Family

Is your family abusive, destructive or vicious? Deciding to dissolve your family is not easy, but in some cases a cut in relationships is the best way to move forward from a painful past and protect yourself, your children and your property from future loss. Depending on your age and condition (and where you live in the world), you may be able to take legal measures to keep your family at bay.

Method 1

Disowning Your Family as a Minor

1. Determine whether to pursue liberation. If you are a teenager, the legal way to end your family is to get “emancipation” from them. This means that you will be legally considered an adult with the authority to make your own decisions, and your parents will no longer be your legal guardians. In most states, you must be over 16 to pursue liberation. If the following is true then this may be the right path for you:

Your parents are abusive.

Your parents are unable to take care of you.

The condition of your parents’ house is morally vengeful for you.

You are financially independent and want the rights of an adult.

2. Become financially independent. A judge will not be emancipated until you can prove that you can live independently from your parents like an adult. This means being able to earn enough money to pay for a place to live, groceries, medical bills and all other expenses. Once you are free, your parents will no longer be legally responsible for providing money to meet your basic needs.

Start by finding a job as soon as possible. Save as much money as possible; Make sure not to spend it on items you don’t really need.

Move out of your family home and into your own apartment. You also have the option of staying with a friend or relative, as long as the person agrees that the arrangement is permanent.

3. Get your parents’ permission. The liberation process is much easier when your parents agree that they do not want to be legally responsible for you. If they do not consent to salvation, the burden will be on you to prove that they do not deserve parents.

4. Submit appropriate paperwork. You will need to fill out a petition for redemption, which you can obtain by contacting the circuit court within your jurisdiction. You will also have to complete paperwork about your financial situation, your employment status and living conditions.

If possible, consider getting legal aid to fill out the paperwork. An attorney familiar with the laws of your state will be able to make sure that everything is correctly loaded through the process. Consider ways to hire a lawyer if you have a low income.

5. Attend a preliminary meeting and court hearing. When you submit your petition and other paperwork to the court, you will receive a preliminary meeting date, which will include both you and your parents. Your situation will be assessed, and if your parents object to your liberation, you will need to attend a court hearing to prove that they are incompetent parents.

The status of your home can be checked after the initial meeting.

If you are able to successfully prove that you can and should remain as an adult, then you will be free to cut off all contact with your parents and family members – effectively denying them .

6. Consider calling Child Protective Services. If you are under 18 and feel that you are living in a dangerous situation, contact your state’s Child Protective Services for assistance. The most important first step is to go to the place of safety. Once you are removed from your family home, CPS will help you determine how to proceed to ensure that your family will not be harmed by you.

If you are unsure about calling CPS, talk to a trusted adult such as the teacher, school counselor, or parents of your friends about your options.

Realize that when you turn 18, your parents will no longer have the legal right to make decisions for you. You might not be with your parents, but are they putting you in real danger? If not, your best bet may be to wait it out. When you turn 18, you will be able to live your life the way you want to.

Method 2

Disowning Your Family as an Adult

1. Keep distance between you and your family. If you are in a physically abusive situation or feel like you are at the end of your rope, the most important step is to get to a safe place where your family cannot hurt you. If you are over 18, your parents and family members have no legal right to determine where you should live.

If you are not financially independent, get a job, determine if you can stay with a friend or relative until you get on your feet.

2. Disconnect contact Once you are an adult, “delicate” your family is primarily to stop all contact with them. Stop calling your family, and stop taking their calls. The same goes for email and other forms of communication. Do not give them your address, and instruct others not to tell you where you are.

You want to change your phone number and email address so that it is difficult for your family to contact.

Consider sending a written statement that you are disconnecting. Explain that you no longer want to get in touch, that you are rejecting them, and that they will take legal action if they try to contact you.

3. Consider obtaining a restraining order. If your family is physically abusive to you or your children, you want to get a restraining order, so that they will be legally obliged to stay away. A Domestic Violence Prevention Order (DVRO) can prevent your family from contacting you or coming within your certain distance.

Consider hiring an attorney to help guide you through the process of filing a restraining order. This process varies from one state to another, and if you have a specialist who will have a better chance of getting the protection you need to fill out the forms and help you navigate the court appearance.

Once the restraining order comes into force, call the police immediately if your family members violate it.

4. Write your family out of your will. Another way to ensure that your family has no way of influencing you or your children is clearly according to your will. Hire a lawyer to help write a will that determines your wishes regarding your end-of-life medical decisions, your children’s guardianship, and the way you wish to handle your property. Is.

Creative Commons License