Cuddling is one of the best means of physical affection; it garners closeness, shows affection, and increases happiness. Cuddling releases a hormone called oxytocin which reduces stress and anxiety, meaning that it increases your mental well being as well. If you’ve strayed away from cuddling or aren’t sure what the best moves to use are, worry no more! Cuddling is easy and fun with a little know-how.
Starting to Cuddle
1. Begin slowly. Perhaps your partner has made it clear that they want to cuddle, or perhaps you are taking the initiative to begin your snuggling. In any case, it is best to start slowly. No matter how impatient you are, don’t jump into cuddling – literally, don’t jump on them. To demonstrate your intent, place a hand on their shoulder, back, or waist. Allow it to sit for a few minutes or give it a light rub.
Make sure your cuddling intentions are clear. You can put your hand on their shoulder, but that doesn’t mean you want to cuddle with them. Instead, caress their arm to ensure they understand what you’re about to do.
Remember that cuddling is frequently a stand-alone activity that does not always translate into foreplay. Begin slowly and work your way up until you’re comfortable, not with the intention of progressing past the cuddle stage.
2. Keep an eye out for environmental factors. So you’ve covered the fundamentals and are ready to move on to the fun part: cuddling. However, before you make the switch, consider some important environmental factors. Is it hot outside? Because you may need to limit your physical contact in order to avoid turning into a swamp monster. Are you lying on a couch or in a bed? Or is it something entirely different? The cuddling positions you can take will vary depending on how much space you have to spread out.
3. Make yourself at home. You’re about to be cradled in a hug for a long time, so make sure you’re comfortable first. Change into comfortable clothes or grab a cosy blanket if you intend to do some long-term cuddling while watching a movie or before going to bed. Although you may be resting on the other person, having a pillow on hand may be a good idea as well.
4. Rub your hands together a little. The PG kind; gently and endearingly rub your partner’s back, legs, or arms. This could be the same as light massage. The goal here is to make the other person feel at ease and interested in continuing to cuddle with you. When you’ve progressed to true “cuddling,” you may want to keep the light rubbing going to prolong the positive feelings you both get from it.
Cuddling Like a Professional
1. Stick to the tried-and-true, and use a spoon. Spooning is the most traditional of all cuddling positions for a reason: it’s fantastic! Spooning is performed with a “big” and “little” spoon, with both partners lying on their sides tucked into each other. The big spoon is in the back, and they frequently drape their arm over the torso of the little spoon.
Keep an eye on your heads. Because your heads are nearly parallel, it is best to stagger them slightly. The big spoon can rest their head on the little spoon’s shoulder or prop it up on an arm.
Keep in mind the heat. Because there is so much physical contact, spooning is one of the most effective heat-generating cuddling positions. To avoid creating a sweat pool, the big spoon may have to refrain from wrapping their arm around the little spoon or move their legs back a little.
2. Try using a half-spoon. The half-spoon is nearly as traditional as the full spoon, with one person laying on their back and the other facing them, laying on their side. The person on their side will most likely rest their head on the chest of the person on their opposite side. Intertwine your legs for a more intimate cuddling experience.
3. Increase your layering. Layering your cuddling is best for cuddling in small spaces, so have the larger person lay face up. The second person can then lie face down directly on top of the bottom half. To prevent the lower stack from suffocating, the top person should stagger their body slightly downwards, allowing them to turn their head to the side and rest it on the bottom half’s chest.
4. Face each other. When you lie face-to-face with your partner, you’re in one of the most romantic cuddling positions. You can lie on your stomachs and turn your heads to the side, or you can lie on your sides, whichever works best for you. Holding hands in the space between your bodies will heighten the romantic feelings that are swirling around the room.
5. Try out the stargazer. You and your partner are out camping or watching a meteor shower, and you both want to cuddle but need to see the sky. Wrap your legs together and lie on your backs next to each other. If you don’t mind a dead arm, one of you can slip your arm under the other person’s neck in a half-embrace. Holding hands over your torsos or in the space between your bodies is also an option. Contrary to its name, this can be done at any time, not just while stargazing.
6. Place your chin in their lap. This cuddling move is ideal for when you want to talk because it allows you to maintain eye contact more easily. One person should sit up, while the other should lie down perpendicular to them, with their head resting in their lap. This allows the person sitting up to play with their partner’s hair or gently stroke their face.
Experimenting with Cuddling
1. Experiment with their hair. When someone plays with your hair, there are few feelings more sweet and pleasant. Gender is irrelevant; simply run your hands through your partner’s hair while cuddling. This could be a cross between a scalp massage and a finger hairbrush. Playing with your partner’s hair is a sure way to make them happy and at ease.
2. Kiss each other a little. Kiss your partner sentimentally rather than in preparation for making out. Plant small kisses on their brow, arms, or hands to show them how much you love and care for them. This move will have them swooning and happy to be wrapped up in your embrace.
3. Massage is something you should try. Isn’t it true that everyone enjoys a good massage? Massage the areas closest to you to show your partner how much you care. Most likely, this will be their back, shoulders, or arms. If you don’t want to massage them, simply rub them back and forth with your hands.
4. You should run your hands down their body. Use your fingertips to lightly stroke their body. Run your hands down their torso, their legs, or their arms. This is easiest to do from a spoon or half-spoon position, but it can be done in any cuddling position.
5. Tickle them gently. Gently tickling your partner will quickly have them squirming and giggling closer to you. Take care not to overdo the tickling; only tickle them for a short period of time to indicate that you’re flirting with them and want them to be closer to you.
Creative Commons License