Sometimes it’s difficult to tell if a guy likes you or if he has a girlfriend. It’s a good idea to find out whether or not the guy you’re crushing on is already taken. It’s also important to find out if the guy you’ve been casually dating has a girlfriend you’re not aware of. Pay attention in order to avoid drama and heartbreak.
Watching How He Acts Around You
1. Take note of how he speaks around you. When a man is in a relationship, he does not always make it obvious. However, pay attention if he uses pronouns such as “we” and “us” when discussing his recent weekend or upcoming plans, as there may be another girl in the picture. He may also talk a lot about a particular girl without ever revealing that they are only together.
If a guy refuses to flirt with you, it means he’s either not interested in you, has a girlfriend, or both.
Even if they have a girlfriend, some guys are notoriously flirtatious or charming to everyone they meet. Don’t get caught up in the excitement of flirting until you know he’s single.
Even if he has a girlfriend, a guy can still be nice and courteous to you. Don’t confuse politeness and niceness with flirting.
2. Take note of his body language when he’s around you. Some guys are very physical with anyone they like, but guys who have girlfriends will often avoid being touchy with other girls. He may only hug male or female friends or relatives. If he avoids your attempts to hug or sit close to him, he may be abducted.
If he turns away or backs away from you, don’t force him to hold your hand, hug you, or do anything physical. You don’t want to come across as a home wrecker if he’s in a relationship.
He may give hugs or high fives to everyone regardless of whether he has a girlfriend, so don’t rely on this as the only criterion for determining whether he has a girlfriend.
If he avoids being alone with you on purpose, it could be because he is concerned about maintaining his reputation as a taken man.
3. Determine whether he has placed you in the friend zone. A guy’s time and romantic efforts are usually reserved for his girlfriend. If the guy you like treats you like one of the guys and doesn’t seem to make time to hang out with you, he might be taken. A guy, for example, will purposefully introduce you as his friend to other people or call you “dude,” “bud,” “pal,” or any other non-committal nickname to label you as just a friend.
On weekends, girlfriends usually have access to a guy’s time. If you can never get a date with him, it could be because he spends most of his free time with his girlfriend.
He may mention special events or family time that he is attending without inviting you. It’s possible he’s going with a girlfriend, who usually comes first.
4. Check to see if he treats you like a secret. If you’re dealing with a guy who you suspect of cheating on his girlfriend and you’re the “other woman,” keep a close eye on him. Changing your name in his phone, giving you shady answers about where he’s been or is going, or limiting when you can call or text him could indicate that he’s trying to keep you hidden from a girlfriend.
If he hasn’t introduced you to his friends, family, or coworkers, it could be because he doesn’t want anyone to know you’re involved.
It may not be your place to inform the girlfriend that her boyfriend is cheating on her. It’s possible that it’ll backfire on you. Remove yourself from the situation so that you are not a part of the problem.
5. Find out how he spends his time. A guy will usually spend the majority of his free time with his girlfriend. However, if hanging out with you or his guy friends consumes the majority of his time, he may not have other priorities. When you ask him what his evening or weekend plans are and he’s available, it’s possible that he doesn’t have a consistent girlfriend.
Observing How He Acts Around Others
1. Examine his social media accounts. Checking a guy’s Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram profiles is one of the simplest ways to figure out if he’s in a relationship.  Formal paraphrase Check to see if he mentions hanging out with a specific girl more than usual or posts photos of himself with a specific girl. Check his profile descriptions to see if he mentions being in a relationship.
Examine his friends’ pages as well. Sometimes a guy will not post photos of his relationship, but you can check his mutual friends’ and followers’ pages to see if they have posted photos of him with another girl.
Take care not to ‘like’ or comment on any of his previous photos or posts. He’ll be notified that you’re following him.
Although it is becoming increasingly rare, your guy may not have a social media page, in which case it may be more beneficial to check his friends’ pages to see if they posted any information about the guy.
2. Look through his phone for evidence of a girlfriend. When it comes to keeping pictures and messages of a special girl in their life, guys are just as guilty as girls. You can borrow his phone and secretly browse through his photo albums and texts to find out if he has a girlfriend.
If you want to avoid being suspicious, pretend your phone’s battery died and you need to make a call.
Don’t invade his privacy. You could get caught if you look through his phone or log into his social media accounts without his permission. Being invasive and stalking someone’s life is never a good idea.
3. Keep an eye out to see if he looks at other girls. Guys who are in a relationship rarely show much interest in other women. A devoted boyfriend will not peer at other girls as they pass by or make comments about a woman’s appearance to his friends.
On the other hand, if you have evidence that he has a girlfriend but still hits on other women, he could be a cheater, so be cautious.
He may be single if he gives out his phone number to other girls. Your only task is to get his attention.
4. Take note of his flirting. If your crush appears to be flirting with any girl, including you, he may be single. Some guys, on the other hand, are charming and witty no matter who they’re talking to. It’s easy to confuse being nice with flirting. He may have a girlfriend, but he still gives everyone his undivided attention.
Don’t mistake being nice and funny for flirting. The main distinction is that flirting usually entails physical contact and subtle hints about something other than friendship.
5. Inquire with his peers. Sometimes a guy is just difficult to read or is extremely private about his life. Find one of his friends and ask if he has a girlfriend. Subtly insert the question into a conversation, or simply message one of his friends if you want to be direct.
When asking, try to be as subtle as possible. You can ask, “What does your friend do with all of his time?” or make a joke, “Oh where is he going, got a hot date?”
Be aware that your interrogation may be returned to the guy you’re interested in. Guys converse in the same way that girls do.
If your interest is single, telling him you like him and have been talking to his friends is a good way to get his attention.
Asking Him Outright
1. In person, ask him if he has a girlfriend. If you still can’t figure out if he’s dating another girl, just ask him. Avoid using texting, instant messaging, or anything else electronic because you need to hear how he responds to your question.
2. Wait for a good opportunity to ask. If you’re with a group of people, you shouldn’t inquire about someone’s personal relationship status. Wait until it’s just the two of you before asking about any girlfriends. You don’t want to embarrass him by making his personal life public in front of others.
3. When inquiring about a possible girlfriend, be direct. To avoid making things too awkward, try not to be too vague when you ask. You could say something like, “I’ve been meaning to ask you if you have a girlfriend?” He shouldn’t feel pressed by your question as long as you keep your tone light.
If he doesn’t and has been completely unaware that you have a crush on him, he may notice your interest when you inquire about his relationship status.
Don’t be too concerned if he says yes. There will always be other guys because not all of the good ones have been taken.
4. Take note if he avoids answering your question. If he doesn’t respond with a simple “yes” or “no,” it’s not a good sign. Any sign of caginess or nervousness is a bad omen. If he stumbles over his words or tries to make an excuse, he is most likely in a difficult situation. It’s best to avoid a guy who isn’t honest in the first place.
If he is forthright and honest, you will have a clear answer. However, if he hesitates, consider it a red flag that he may be concealing his relationship.
5. Whatever response he gives, respond respectfully and maturely. It can be devastating to learn that a guy you’re interested in is already taken. But keep your cool when he responds, whether it’s positive or negative.
Don’t have a meltdown in front of him if he has a girlfriend. Or, at the very least, wait until you’re alone to be upset about a missed opportunity in order to save face.
If he is single, that would be fantastic news. To maintain your mystery and avoid revealing your hand that you’re interested in him, respond with something like, “Oh, well, that’s interesting.”
No matter how much you like a guy, it’s not worth breaking up with him just to try to date him.
Creative Commons License