Even though ageing is a natural part of life for both men and women, this does not imply that it is always a pleasant experience. If you’re concerned about losing your youthful appearance and demeanour, you’re not alone in your concerns. Don’t be concerned, there will be assistance along the way. Many things you can do to instantly age yourself without destroying your bank account or undergoing surgery, such as taking good care of your skin and switching up your hairstyle, can help you look younger and more attractive.
Part 1 Making Your Face Look Younger
1. Select a gentle facial cleanser to use on your face. In most cases, ageing skin does not require harsh products such as those used by teenagers, because there is usually no excess oil on the skin. Using a too-abrasive cleanser will strip your skin of its natural oils, causing it to become dry and wrinkled more quickly. Those marketed toward your age group, as well as those that describe themselves as gentle or moisturising, are good choices. Women should moisturise their faces before applying makeup at any time of the day.
Even as you get older, it is still important to cleanse your face because it removes traces of chemicals from your environment as well as any makeup that may have remained on your skin and could cause ageing if left on.
2. After cleansing, apply a moisturiser. It’s critical to provide your skin with additional moisture so that it can better care for itself. If you don’t moisturise your dry skin, it will age more quickly. Choose anti-aging moisturisers that contain a high concentration of the active ingredient. If you are unsure about which product to purchase (there are hundreds on the market), try reading reviews or looking for scientific research that supports the product. Make certain that the product you choose is rich and deeply moisturising, as opposed to the products you may have used in your younger years.
And keep in mind that moisturising is not only for women; there are plenty of similar products on the market that are geared toward men.
3. Use sun protection on a daily basis. Many moisturising products already contain SPF protection, and this is due to the fact that protecting your skin from harmful UV rays on a daily basis is essential in order to avoid sun damage. Because the sun is one of the primary causes of premature ageing, dermatologists recommend that you wear at least SPF 15 every day to prevent wrinkles, brown spots, and a dull complexion from developing. It will also protect you from skin cancer, in addition to the other benefits.
If you’re only going to be out in the sun for a short period of time, you can apply sunscreen not only to your face but also to your chest and the tops of your hands as well. This will help to prevent those spots on your chest and hands from developing. If you’re going to be out in the sun for an extended period of time, you’ll need to apply sunscreen liberally all over your body.
4. Exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells. Gently exfoliating the skin promotes skin cell renewal, which results in skin that appears to be younger in appearance. Choose a product that is designed for older skin because it will be more gentle and less likely to dry out or damage the skin over time. Exfoliation is also beneficial because it makes your skin feel softer and appear brighter after it has been done. Exfoliating your face before shaving your face can make the shaving process easier for men because it exposes more of the hair during the shaving process.
5. Maintain control over your facial hair. For men, this will make you appear better groomed and less scruffy, allowing you to maintain a youthful appearance as you grow older, and for women, this will conceal the signs of ageing. Here are some considerations to bear in mind for each gender.
Men: Maintain a clean shaven or neatly trimmed face, and always trim the hair on your nose and ears, as well. You can purchase nose hair trimmers at your local pharmacy, and the procedure is completely painless and straightforward. Allowing this hair to grow wild adds years to your appearance while also making you appear more scruffy. Make sure to pluck the hairs on the bridge of your nose as well if you don’t want to look like an old man.
Menopausal women may experience an increase in facial hair after menopause as a result of a change in hormone levels. There are several simple ways to keep it away, including laser removal, waxing, depilatory/hair removal cream, and threading, which can all help to conceal your age a little more effectively.
Women should also make an effort to keep their brows looking full and thick at all times. As you grow older, your brows may begin to thin out; therefore, it is important to fill them in with a pencil that matches the colour of your brows in order to maintain a youthful appearance.
6. Makeup that makes you appear more youthful should be worn (for women). Many different make-up techniques are available to help women keep their features as prominent as possible while also concealing the visible signs of ageing. The key is to conceal those blemishes while drawing attention to your best features, such as your eyes, on the other hand. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Make sure to use a concealer that is creamy in texture. Any concealer that is waxy or that has the potential to become caked on can actually make you appear older.
Using a dab of blush, highlight the highest point of your cheekbones, but avoid applying blush to the hollows of your cheeks. As you grow older, the fat on your face will gradually disappear, and your cheeks will naturally become a little hollower. Because this can make you appear older, there’s no need to accentuate it even further with a lot of blush on top of it.
Instead of using black eyeliner, try brown instead. As you grow older, the contrast between your skin tone and the rest of your face will become too extreme. Brown will create more gentle frames around your eyes than other colours would.
Make your lashes stand out. Curling your lashes or even wearing thickening mascara when possible can help to prevent your lashes from becoming thinner and straighter as you grow older.
Reduce the amount of drama around your lips. However, avoid overlining your lips or wearing bright lipstick; your lips will thin as you age, and there’s no need to overcompensate by overdoing it with your lipstick selection.
Part 2 Making Your Body Look Younger
1. Keep your teeth in good condition. A healthy set of teeth can instantly make you appear younger and more attractive. Make sure you have a good oral hygiene routine in place, which should include brushing, flossing, and the use of mouthwash. You should seek dental advice if your teeth are not white enough or if you are experiencing dental problems. You could have your teeth professionally whitened, or if you have dental issues such as decay, wonky teeth, or stained teeth, you could have those issues addressed as well.
Also available over the counter are whitening products that can be effective, though you should consult with your dentist first to ensure that they are appropriate for you..
Teeth can reveal your true age more than any other part of your body, so begin early with a comprehensive oral hygiene routine that includes brushing and flossing.
2. Make sure you cover up your greys. Some people enjoy sporting their grey or peppery hair, but it is not for everyone. Many people, on the other hand, want to get rid of their grey hair, and there are numerous hair dyes available on the market that can help them achieve this goal. If you want your hair to appear more natural, it’s best to choose a colour that’s close to what your natural hair colour was to begin with. You have the option of getting your hair dyed at a salon or opting for the less expensive option of purchasing an at-home hair dying kit. But keep in mind that all hair dye is damaging to the hair, so avoid colouring it too frequently and use products that are specifically designed to care for damaged or dyed hair.
Applying hair dye primarily to the roots of your hair, where your natural hair colour is visible, and leaving it there for a longer period of time can help you avoid dying your hair too frequently. Then work the dye through your hair for the final few minutes. Another option is to purchase root touch-up kits that are the same colour as the hair dye you previously used.
Women should think about getting highlights in addition to dying their hair in order to give their new look a softer edge to complement it.
Make an effort to use natural or organic hair dyes that are free of harmful chemicals. You will have better hair, and your overall appearance will be better.
3. Make a change to your hairstyle. Has “The Rachel” been a part of your wardrobe for the past twenty years? This means that a more fashionable haircut that can bring out the best in your youthful face and features is long overdue on your part. View some fashion magazines, or even some celebrity gossip magazines, to see what hairstyles are currently in style and how to achieve them. You are not required to get a haircut that is ultra-trendy if that is not your thing, but getting a haircut that is better suited to your face than your previous one can make you appear a decade younger. The following are some things to keep in mind when getting a new haircut.
If you have a large forehead and if bangs are a good fit for your face shape, consider getting them. They will help you to appear more vibrant and youthful.
Layers can also help to reduce the appearance of your age. These products will enhance the texture, airiness, and volume of your hair, as well as eliminate the flat, stringy appearance your hair may be sporting.
Remove enough of your hair from your face that it frames your face and falls above your shoulders. Taking a few inches off your hair will make you appear years younger than you actually are. Just be careful not to cut it too short or you’ll end up looking like you’re sporting the Grandma look.
Allowing your hair to grow out a little will make your features appear less harsh. Maintain a healthy level of shagginess in your hair, or you’ll appear more aged and worn down.
If you’re starting to go bald, you should consider shaving your head. Instead of simply letting your bald spot show, this will make you appear younger — and sexier — as a result.
4. Dress appropriately for your age and body type. Wearing clothes that are tailored to your body shape can instantly make you appear slimmer and more fashionable without the need to exert too much effort. This holds true for both men and women, though men’s body shapes are less diverse than women’s body shapes. It is unlikely that you will appear younger if you dress like a person half your age; in fact, it is possible that you will appear older. Instead, concentrate on finding clothing that is appropriate for your body type.
Women don’t need to expose more cleavage in order to appear younger; instead, dress in shirts that highlight your best features without drawing too much attention to your breasts.
You should consider updating your wardrobe if you’ve been wearing the same things for the past ten years or more! If you are unsure of what to buy, ask a friend or family member who has good fashion sense to accompany you to some stores. If you are uncomfortable doing this, look through magazines and see what kinds of things you like on models in them, and then figure out how to apply that to yourself.
Even if you think an item of clothing does not suit you, go to a store and ask a sales assistant for advice, or simply go to a store and buy all the items of clothing you like the look of, even if you think they will not work for you, and then go to the changing rooms and have fun trying new things. You’ll eventually be pleasantly surprised by something, and you’ll have something completely new and different.
5. Bright colours should be worn. Bright colours will make you appear younger, more fun, and more vibrant than you actually are. Colors that are bright and vibrant will also make you feel more youthful and energetic. Put away all of your black, grey, and neutral-toned clothes and replace them with some bright red, orange, and green pieces that will brighten up your entire wardrobe this holiday season. Despite the fact that black and darker colours are slimming, they also make you appear a few years older than you actually are.
You are not required to completely abandon your darker-colored clothing ensembles. However, if you do choose to wear a black shirt, add some colour to it with a bright tie or a piece of jewellery that stands out.
6. Accessorize in the proper manner (for women). The matching necklace and earring sets that make women appear dignified but a little older should be retired in favour of more fashionable jewellery. Your appearance will improve significantly if you wear cute, stylish earsrings rather than the matching pearl earrings and necklace set that you adore. Women who wear brightly coloured rings are also said to appear younger because the rings add a splash of colour to their ensemble.
Additionally, getting manicures and pedicures on a regular basis is beneficial. This extra attention to your hands will make you appear even more youthful.
7. Use a perfume with a scent of pink grapefruit (for women). Wearing a pink-grapefruit-scented perfume or lotion, according to studies, makes women appear younger than when they wear any other scent, including unscented. Don’t overdo it, of course, but a dab behind the ears can do wonders for your appearance.
8. Maintain your hydration. Drink at least 10 8-ounce glasses of water every day, and you will help to keep your skin moist and looking as fresh and youthful as possible. Keep your insides healthy by drinking plenty of water. You’ll feel better on the inside and look better on the outside if you do. Make drinking water a part of your daily routine on a consistent basis. Instead of only drinking it with meals, make a point of drinking a glass every hour or two, even if you’re not particularly thirsty.
No need to over-hydrate, but make a point of drinking enough water to stay healthy and youthful-looking at all times of the day.
9. Exercise. For some, this is difficult because they are too busy, unsure of what to do, or believe they are physically unfit to begin exercising. Small but regular amounts of exercise, on the other hand, will help to keep you energetic and lively, which will not only help you look younger, but will also help to keep you feeling younger as well! By combining these techniques with a healthy, well-balanced diet, you will enjoy greater longevity, have more energy, and avoid illnesses that can add years to your appearance.
Make it a point to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
If it’s difficult to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine, try to walk as much as you can. Walk to the grocery store for 20 minutes instead of driving, walk while you’re talking on the phone with your friends, or simply try to walk for at least two hours a week to get your heart rate up.
Although staying in shape is important, losing weight drastically or yo-yo dieting may cause you to lose a significant amount of weight in a short period of time, but it may actually make you appear older. Trying to lose weight too quickly can result in sagging skin on your face and neck; instead, it’s best to lose weight gradually and in moderation. Diets that are low in carbohydrates and high in fat can actually help you lose weight.
Yoga, Pilates, biking, easy hiking, and tennis are all excellent exercises for older people to participate in.
10. Consume foods that will make you appear younger. Even though there is no one magical food that will instantly erase ten years from your face, there are some foods that you can eat on a regular basis that will help you look and feel younger. The following are some foods that you should incorporate into your diet if you haven’t done so yet:
Oranges. Because of the high concentration of vitamin C in this delectable fruit, you will definitely feel younger.
Broccoli. This vegetable is high in vitamin C and has properties that support the health of your liver.
Yogurt with low fat content. It can be beneficial to your skin and provide you with the calcium you require for healthy teeth.
Berries. The antioxidants found in any type of berry can help to keep your skin looking young and vibrant.
Sweet potatoes are a type of root vegetable. These are fantastic for both your complexion and your hair, as well.
Carrots. These are yet another excellent skin-beneficial food to consume.
Part 3 Taking Supplements
Supplements are an excellent way to ensure that you are not deficient in any nutrients and to assist your body in ageing in a healthy manner.
1. Take between 1000 and 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily (aka ascorbic acid, calcium ascorbate, or anything with ascorbate). A water-soluble vitamin with antioxidant properties, vitamin C is a must-have for any healthy diet. Essentially, this means that it protects your cells from the damage that free radicals cause to them. Vitamin C is well-known for its ability to aid in the healing of the skin, to protect it from the sun’s harmful UV rays, and to provide other benefits to the rest of the body (not just the skin). Take no more than 2000 mg per day because exceeding this amount can increase your risk of developing kidney stones.
2. Take 4000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day to stay healthy. This fat-soluble vitamin aids in the maintenance of strong bones, the prevention of cancer and autoimmunity, and the promotion of healthy skin ageing. Vitamin D receptors can be found all over your body, including your skin.
3. Take a high-quality B complex supplement to help you stay healthy. It has been demonstrated that these vitamins aid in the repair of the skin and may even help to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
Part 4 Maintaining Healthy Habits
1. Have some sex. Yes, you are correct. According to studies, having sex at least three times a week makes you appear ten years younger than people who don’t have sex on a regular basis. This is due to the fact that sex stimulates the production of a human growth hormone, which helps to slow the ageing process. This does not imply that you should go out looking for a good shag three nights a week just to appear younger; however, if you have a partner that you adore (or at least like), make a point of getting it on a little more often.
You may be telling yourself that you’re too busy, too tired, or that you simply have too much on your mind to engage in sexual activity. But, hey, now you can think of having sex not as a fun way to pass the time, but rather as a way to appear younger as you get older. That’s what I call being productive!
2. Consistently maintain proper body posture. Slouching over like your grandmother is the fastest way to make you appear older than you really are. You can instantly look ten years younger by maintaining proper posture. All you have to do is make a conscious effort to keep your spine straight, shoulder muscles up instead of slouching, and your face looking ahead instead of down at the floor, and you’ll look ten years younger in no time. Maintaining a straight spine will also allow the nerve cells in your spine to fire more efficiently, resulting in increased energy and a more youthful appearance throughout the day.
Even though it may be tempting to slouch when you’re sitting down, remember that good posture is something that can be maintained regardless of whether you’re sitting down or standing up.
3. Make sure you get plenty of sleep. It is not necessary to sleep for 10-12 hours every night in order to appear younger. That is not going to work. However, you should strive to be as rested as possible on a regular basis. As you grow older, your body will begin to exhibit signs of fatigue more and more frequently, particularly around the eyes and mouth. You may even find that as you get older, you require less sleep than you did a decade ago, which is perfectly acceptable. Maintain a consistent sleep schedule based on whatever magic sleep number works for you, which is usually 7-9 hours.
4. Get massages on a regular basis. At least once a month, whether it’s done professionally or by a loving (or begrudging) significant other, getting a massage can help you feel more relaxed and relieve some of the tension that contributes to your body’s appearance of being more mature. It also stimulates the production of anabolic hormones, which help to slow the ageing process.
If you are feeling particularly tense, set a goal for yourself to get massaged at least once a month, or even more frequently if necessary.
5. Yoga is a good thing to do. Exercising your body and mind through yoga is a low-impact way of taking care of yourself, relieving stress, and making yourself feel more grateful for the life you’ve been given. Take a look around the yoga studio and notice how youthful and energetic all of the women appear; going to yoga at least once or twice a week can’t hurt your appearance, can it? Yoga is also a fantastic way to get some exercise, heal injuries, or to get started with fitness as a beginner (if you take a class for beginners, that is.)
Apart from that, practising yoga generally encourages a healthy lifestyle that will make you appear younger.
6. Reduce your stress levels to the greatest extent possible. It’s a proven fact that living a stressful lifestyle will leave you exhausted and unhappy, as well as wrinkled and aged. Make an effort to reduce the number of responsibilities you have and come up with new strategies for dealing with life’s demands. You should try to set aside at least one hour per day to relax and do something you enjoy, such as taking a bath with a good book or watching your favourite television show. Though it is impossible to completely eliminate stress from your life, even if you live in a tropical paradise and have discovered a treasure chest full of cash, you can take steps to reduce the amount of stress you are experiencing in your life.
Consequently, you should avoid situations that cause you significant stress, such as going to loud parties that you don’t even enjoy or getting into your car during peak rush-hour traffic congestion.
Make a list of the top ten things that are causing you the most anxiety. Now, if you are able, list five ways in which you can reduce your exposure to each of the things on your list.
Although some stressful events cannot be avoided, such as an ageing parent or a spouse who has lost his or her job, you can choose to adopt a more positive attitude toward these situations.
7. Don’t take up smoking. If you’re a smoker, make a concerted effort to quit as soon as you possibly can (which is easier said than done, I’m sure you’ll agree). One of the worst things you can do if you’re trying to avoid looking old is to drink excessively. It thins your lips, makes your skin dryer and more wrinkly, and dulls your complexion, and discolours your hair and nail polish. In addition to this, quitting will make you much healthier and less likely to contract a serious disease in the future.
As a result of smoking, one’s breath is scented with cigarette smoke. This is not a scent that is associated with people who are in the prime of their lives — at least not in 2013.
8. Laugh as hard as you possibly can. Bring more laughter into your life. As you grow older, happiness and laughter become increasingly important components of your overall well-being. Being surrounded by good friends who have funny stories to tell keeps you feeling young and energetic. Don’t be concerned about getting wrinkles from laughing too much — just let your hair down and laugh your heart out. Spend time with people who make you laugh and make you feel ten years younger, and you will begin to appear ten years younger.
9. Avoid excessive or regular consumption of alcoholic beverages. The negative consequences of alcohol consumption are less well-known than the negative consequences of smoking, but they are just as harmful. As well as causing premature ageing, alcohol has been linked to a variety of diseases later in life. Alcohol also dehydrates you, which causes your skin to appear drier as a result. Alcohol can also cause puffiness around your eyes the day after you drink it, which does not have a rejuvenating effect on your appearance.
It goes without saying that part of looking young is also feeling young and having a good time. Furthermore, for some, alcohol is a pleasurable social lubricant. In other words, if you enjoy getting a little crazy and having a few martinis every now and then, don’t completely abandon your drinking habits.
10. Maintain a youthful attitude. Seriously. Having a fun, carefree attitude is important in maintaining a youthful appearance. Obviously, this does not imply that you should behave in a childish manner, dance on tables, or make fun of people as if you were in the sixth grade. What it does mean is that you should maintain a positive and friendly attitude while avoiding jealousy, resentment and any other negative emotions that make you feel like an old lady are avoided.
Stop worrying as much as you possibly can and go out into the world and enjoy yourself. You’ll be too preoccupied with having a good time to give a damn about your appearance.
Make a point of being proud of your age. If you are confident in your appearance, even if you wish you could appear a little younger, other people will perceive you in a more positive light.
Creative Commons License