Myostatin is a protein that inhibits the growth, tone, and strength of muscle tissue in the body. The reduction of myostatin, according to many bodybuilders and some scientists, can increase muscular development, as well as slow the ageing process and improve overall health. It is possible that lowering these levels will benefit people who suffer from medical conditions that affect muscle development, such as muscular dystrophy or other wasting diseases. Both cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise and resistance training (weight training) are effective methods of lowering myostatin levels. It may also be beneficial to quit smoking or consult with your doctor about specific therapies.
Method 1 Doing High-Intensity Resistance Training
1. Myostatin levels should be given the “HIRT” treatment. Resistance training of any kind can be beneficial to one’s health and ability to gain muscle. However, in order to lower myostatin levels, you will need to perform high-intensity resistance training sessions (HIRT). This entails engaging in resistance training that pushes you to the limits of your physical abilities.
HIRT necessitates the completion of full-body workouts. In other words, your resistance training regimen should include exercises that strengthen your arms, back, and legs as well as your muscles.
2. A superset is a collection of several resistance training exercises that are performed in succession. Instead of limiting your set by the number of repetitions per exercise, you should restrict it by the amount of time you have available. During the time limit you’ve set, complete as many repetitions as you possibly can without taking a break.
For example, you could do 10 push-ups, 10 pull-ups, 10 leg extensions, and then 10 biceps curls as quickly as possible over the course of about 10 minutes to get a good cardiovascular workout.
If you have completed the 10 biceps curls before the 10-minute time limit has expired, repeat the cycle by performing 10 push-ups to restart the cycle.
Take a one- to two-minute break between each superset to stretch the muscles that have been worked.
3. When taking HIRT, proceed with caution. HIRT can be a physically demanding activity. Consult with your doctor before beginning an HIRT exercise regimen, and limit your HIRT sessions to three or four times per week at a minimum.
Allow your body to rest and heal between workouts as well, ideally at least one day between each session. It is not recommended to perform HIRT sessions on consecutive days.
4. Select the appropriate weight. When it comes to resistance training, you must use the appropriate weight for your body type. Start with the lightest weight available for the machine or barbell you’re working with. Carry out 10-12 repetitions. If you find that it was very easy and you don’t feel taxed by the end of your 10-12 reps, gradually increase the weight in small increments until you reach your desired result. You’ll know you’ve found the right weight for you when performing 10-12 reps becomes extremely difficult.
Method 2 Trying Specific Resistance Exercises
1. Biceps curls should be performed. Take a hold of a barbell from below, palms facing up, and squeeze. Take a firm grip on the barbell and position each hand shoulder-width apart from the other so that the weights on either end are equally distant from each hand. Lifting the bar to your chest with your elbows is a good exercise.
As you lift, keep your elbows pinned to your side to prevent injury. The amount of work your biceps have to do will be reduced if you slide your elbows behind your ribs.
Do not lift the bar with your hips, as this will cause the bar to bounce.
2. Use a chest press machine to strengthen your muscles. Take a seat at the chest press machine and adjust the seat to your preferred level. The handles should be positioned near the middle or bottom of your pectoral muscles, depending on your preference. Put your hands on the machine’s handles and turn it on. Your shoulder blades should be retracted at this point in time. If they are not, adjust the position of the machine’s handles to ensure that they are properly positioned.
Press the handles forward, extending through the elbow, while maintaining your head and chest up in the process.
When you have reached your maximum extension, take a brief pause and then return the handles to a position that is just beyond the starting position in order to maintain the tension.
3. Make use of a shoulder press machine. The machine shoulder press is very similar to the chest press, with the exception that instead of pushing forward, you are pushing up instead of forward. Maintain a firm grip on the machine’s handles while keeping your elbows in line with your torso. If your elbows are not aligned with the centre of your torso, raise or lower the seat level. As you exhale, raise the handles to your ears. Slowly extend your arms in front of you. When you have reached your maximum extension, hold the position for a brief moment before bringing the handles back down to a position just above the starting position.
4. Experiment with different types of resistance exercises. It is possible to lower your myostatin levels through a variety of other resistance exercises. For example, you might want to do squats or lift free weights to build muscle. Resistance bands are also a good option, and they are very simple to use at home.
Method 3 Performing Aerobic Exercises
1. Exercise at a moderate to high level of intensity. When it comes to using aerobic exercise to lower your myostatin levels, you have a great deal of flexibility in terms of how much exercise you want to do. It is sufficient to exercise at approximately 40 percent to 50 percent of your maximum ability to begin lowering myostatin levels, at least initially. The more you push yourself beyond these fundamental levels of exercise, the more myostatin will be depleted.
Walking briskly will feel similar to working out at a moderate intensity on a stationary bike, elliptical, or in other aerobic exercises.
You should burn at least 1,200 calories per week if you want to see a significant decrease in your myostatin levels over time. Check the digital readouts on your aerobic exercise equipment, or use a wearable fitness tracking device, to keep track of how many calories you burn during your workout (for instance the FitBit).
One pound of body fat can be lost by burning approximately 3,500 calories. If you don’t need to lose weight, make sure to eat more or supplement your diet to replenish the energy you’ve expended while exercising.
2. Make use of an elliptical trainer. An elliptical training machine (also known as a “ski machine”) is a popular piece of exercise equipment that can assist you in lowering your myostatin levels through regular use. To use the elliptical machine, place your feet on the foot pads of the machine. Place your left foot in the left foot pad and your right foot in the right foot pad. Repeat with your other foot. Grab the handles on the left and right sides of the screen.
Please select the settings under which you wish to conduct your training session. For example, you can increase the resistance on the machine or set time or calorie burning goals while keeping track of how many calories you’ve consumed during the day.
The handles and foot pads on a given side of the machine work in opposition to one another to produce the desired result. This means that when you swing the right handle of the machine forward, your right leg will move backwards as well. When you turn to the other side, your left hand will be pulled back and your left foot will be pushed forward a little. To keep up with the machine, swing your feet and arms forward and backward in time with it.
3. Riding a bicycle is recommended. The act of riding a bicycle is a common aerobic exercise that has been shown to reduce myostatin levels. If you want to reap the benefits of decreased myostatin, you can either ride a regular bike or a stationary bike.
Low myostatin levels can be achieved by riding at a moderate intensity. By riding a bike, you should aim to burn 1,200 calories per week – or more or less depending on your weight loss goals.
When riding a bike, always remember to be cautious. Wear a helmet and ride in the bike lane or as close to the curb as you can get away with. It is not permissible to ride against the flow of traffic or on the sidewalk.
4. Take a brisk walk. Running is one of the most popular forms of aerobic exercise, and it has been shown to lower myostatin levels in the body. When running, dress in clothing that is light and loose-fitting. Select a path that is free of debris and well-lit.
Attempt to jog for at least 20 minutes every day. As your strength and endurance improve, you can increase the length of your run in 10-minute increments.
For the last 5 minutes, try to pick up your pace and make it more like a run. This will increase your heart rate, which is beneficial to your cardiovascular health in the long run.
5. Other aerobic exercises should be tried. There are a variety of aerobic exercises that you can participate in that will help to lower your myostatin levels over time. Jumping rope, swimming, rowing a boat, or jumping jacks are just a few examples of activities you could choose.
Method 4 Finding Other Ways to Lower Myostatin
1. Do not use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking is associated with higher myostatin concentrations. Do not start smoking if you want to lower your myostatin levels. If you are already addicted to nicotine, make a plan to stop smoking as soon as possible.
The most effective method of quitting smoking is to gradually reduce one’s intake of nicotine. For example, if you decide that you want to quit smoking completely in two weeks, you should reduce your daily cigarette intake by 25 percent starting right now. About five days later, it was reduced by another 25 percent. Continue to reduce your cigarette consumption by 25 percent for approximately 10 days after that. Finally, after two weeks have passed, you should smoke your last cigarette.
Nicotine gum and patches can also be used to help you overcome your addiction to nicotine.
2. Myostatin inhibitors should be used. Myostatin inhibitors are currently in the experimental stage and are intended for people who have medical conditions that interfere with muscle development. If your goal is to treat a disorder like this, you may be eligible for treatment with one of these methods. Because they are not available over-the-counter, you will need a prescription to obtain them. Consult with your doctor about the possibility of lowering your myostatin levels through the use of an inhibitor.
The development of another experimental procedure, myostatin-inhibiting gene therapy, is still in its early stages. Patients suffering from degenerative muscle disorders may be able to benefit from this in the future.
3. Inquire about the follistatin supplementation. Follistatin is a substance that prevents the production of myostatin. Supplements containing follistatin may be available that can help you lower your levels of myostatin. Due to the fact that most of these supplements contain fertile chicken egg yolk isolate, if you have an egg allergy, you may not be able to consume them.
In most cases, follistatin supplements are available in powdered form. Afterwards, they are blended with water or milk before being consumed.
Follistatin is an expensive medication that is not widely available and may be harmful to the liver. Still, you should consult with your doctor to determine whether this is a viable option for you.
Creative Commons License