You’ve probably used aloe if you’ve ever needed relief from sunburn, but did you know that it works for a variety of other conditions? Aloe is extremely versatile and can be used as an acne treatment and a moisturizer. If you want to make aloe even more effective, you can easily mix it with cosmetic and essential oils. Each oil has its own properties and uses, but we’ve picked a few of the simplest combinations you can try out to keep your skin and hair healthy!
Method 1 Aloe with Cosmetic Oils
- Mix aloe with coconut oil for a homemade conditioning mask. Combine 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of aloe vera gel with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut oil. First, wash your hair as you normally would before attempting to use the product. Then massage the aloe and coconut oil into your scalp and work it down toward the ends of your hair. Keep the conditioner in your hair for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
Use the hair mask up to twice per week, depending on your hair type.
Coconut oil is already a fantastic moisturiser for dry or frizzy hair, and the addition of aloe will only enhance its effectiveness even further.
Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of castor oil, a few drops of vitamin E oil, or a few drops of your favourite essential oil, such as tea tree or lavender, if you want.
- Aloe vera and jojoba oil are excellent moisturisers for the face. Fill a small dropper bottle with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) aloe gel and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) jojoba oil. Shake well to combine. Close the bottle and shake it vigorously to ensure that all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. After you’ve washed and patted your face dry, put a few drops of aloe and oil in your hand and rub the mixture directly onto your skin.
If you apply aloe twice a day, it will also aid in the treatment of acne.
Jojoba oil is already found in many moisturisers, and because it has anti-inflammatory properties, it is extremely soothing to the skin.
If you want to give your moisturiser a pleasant scent, try adding approximately 6 drops of frankincense essential oil.
- As a shave gel, combine coconut oil and aloe vera. Already, coconut oil moisturises your skin, and the addition of aloe can help to reduce the occurrence of razor burn or irritation. Melt 14 cup (59 mL) of coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in 14 cup (59 mL) of pure aloe vera gel. When you’re ready to shave, simply scoop some gel out of the container and apply a thin layer to your skin. Allow it to sit for a few minutes before beginning to shave with it.
Your homemade shave gel will keep for up to 2 months at room temperature if stored in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid.
If your coconut oil hardens or separates, simply place a lid on the container and place it under hot water to allow it to warm back up.
- Aloe and olive oil can be combined to make an insect repellent. Several studies have found that applying aloe vera and olive oil to your skin can help to keep mosquitoes away. Combine approximately 0.84 cups (200 mL) of extra-virgin olive oil and 3 tablespoons (44 mL) of aloe vera gel in a small mixing bowl. You can either mix the ingredients by hand or use a blender to accomplish this. When you’re going outside, apply the mixture to your skin to avoid being bitten.
The aloe vera plant has the potential to cause skin irritation, though this is extremely rare. If this is the case, reduce the amount of aloe to 2 tablespoons (30 mL) rather than 3.
- As an alternative to anti-aging creams, castor oil and aloe gel can be used. In a small bottle, combine 9 parts aloe vera gel and 1 part castor oil and shake well to combine the ingredients. Preserve the mixture in your refrigerator to ensure that it has an even greater cooling effect on your skin. Directly massage the oil and aloe into your skin, paying particular attention to the area around your eyes, to help tighten and moisturise your skin.
If you have fungal dermatitis, you should avoid using castor oil because it could make your condition worse..
You can experiment with increasing the amount of castor oil in the moisturiser to help it thicken and hold cosmetics better. It is entirely up to you to determine your own personal preference for consistency.
With its anti-inflammatory properties, castor oil can also help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and wrinkles.
Method 2 Aloe and Essential Oils
- Tea tree oil combined with aloe vera can be used to lighten scars and dark spots. If you want to make your own face mask, try combining 4 tablespoons (59 mL) of aloe gel with only 2 drops of tea tree oil for a simple formula. Apply the aloe mask to any blemishes and allow it to sit for 10–15 minutes before washing it off. Make sure to thoroughly rinse your skin and follow up with a moisturiser to prevent your skin from becoming dehydrated.
You can also add a quarter of a peeled cucumber to your moisturiser to boost the potassium and vitamin E content.
Tea tree oil combined with aloe vera has been shown to be effective in the treatment of acne, scars, and dark skin, according to research.
- Peppermint oil and aloe gel can be combined to make a daily hair moisturiser. Scoop the gel from one large aloe vera leaf and place it in a blender with one cup (240 mL) of water and three to four drops of peppermint oil. Blend until smooth. Combining the ingredients together and straining the mixture into a spray bottle are the best results. Use a spray bottle to mist your hair in the morning and evening to help keep it soft.
Keep the mixture refrigerated for up to 1–2 weeks to ensure that the aloe doesn’t deteriorate.
It has been demonstrated in some studies that peppermint oil can aid in the stimulation of hair growth, making it an excellent choice for inclusion in a moisturiser.
- Acne can be treated with a mixture of aloe gel and basil oil. In order to make a 2 percent mixture, try adding approximately 5 drops of basil oil to 1 tablespoon of aloe gel. After washing your face, massage the basil and aloe vera mixture into your skin until it becomes absorbed. Try to apply the serum twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening before going to bed, for best results.
Basil essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties and can help to improve skin conditions such as acne, but the addition of aloe can increase their effectiveness even further.
- Aloe vera and lavender oil can help to relieve inflammation. Simply combine 1 drop of lavender oil with 1 teaspoon (4.9 mL) of aloe gel and stir it thoroughly until it is completely dissolved. For a cooling effect on your skin, place the gel in your refrigerator for 5 minutes before using. To relieve inflammation, apply the gel to your skin with a cotton swab and massage it in gently.
This is also effective for treating acne and rashes.
Lavender oil has a soothing scent, and some research has discovered that it can be used to treat inflamed skin.
Creative Commons License