Lyrica may be prescribed to you if you have epilepsy, nerve problems, or fibromyalgia, among other conditions. This medication is effective at treating these issues, but it also has side effects such as increased appetite, food cravings, and a slower metabolism. Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet while taking this medication, as well as staying physically active through regular exercise, can help you avoid gaining weight. Talk to your doctor about your treatment options if Lyrica isn’t helping you feel better. Do not stop taking Lyrica without first consulting with your doctor to ensure that stopping is a safe option for you.
Method 1 Maintaining a Healthy, Balanced Diet
1. Make a weekly meal plan and try to prepare as much of your meals at home as possible. Begin by planning out the meals you will be preparing at home for the upcoming week. Make sure to include all meals and snacks, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Make a grocery list and then go grocery shopping at the beginning of the week so that you have the ingredients on hand to prepare meals throughout the week.
Look up healthy recipes on the internet or in a cookbook so that you can incorporate them into your daily meals and snacks.
Make healthy, nutrient-dense meals at home most days of the week by choosing to cook at home.
When you do decide to eat out, choose items from the menu that are considered to be healthy. When you eat out, try to stick to the same diet that you eat when you cook at home.
2. Fill your plate with fresh fruits, vegetables, and grains. Incorporate plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as whole-wheat grains, into your daily meal plan. Choose lean protein sources such as chicken, fish, and tofu over fatty meats. Cooking with herbs and spices can enhance the flavour of your meals without increasing their calorie count.
3. At each meal, consume small portions of food. Portion control is important so that you do not consume more calories than your body requires. Utilize smaller plates or bowls for your meals, and consume only a small amount at a time so that you can eat until you are completely satisfied. Preparing vegetables or fruits first, then adding protein or grains to the pot will ensure that your meals are well-balanced and nutritious.
Avoid eating out of large containers, bags, or bowls because doing so can lead to an increase in your portion sizes and weight gain. Take small bites of your food and chew it slowly so that you can savour the flavours of your food more thoroughly.
4. Healthy snacks should be consumed in between meals. Make healthy snacks such as nuts, granola, or sliced fruits and vegetables your go-to choice. Healthy snacks should be packed in your bag so that you can consume them while on the go. Keep in mind to snack in between meals so that you do not become overly hungry and overeat at meal time.
5. Foods high in fat, sugar, and salt should be avoided. Dietary supplements, such as prepackaged or processed foods, are typically devoid of nutritional value and high in empty calories. Reduce your intake of fast food to once a month to ensure that you maintain a healthy eating pattern.
Stay away from unhealthy snacks such as chips, cookies, cake, and fried food. Keep them out of the house or in your bag so that you are not tempted to eat them while you are there.
Donuts, cakes, frozen pizza, and fast food are examples of foods that are high in trans fat. Avoid them at all costs.
Every day, make an effort to consume less than 2.3 grammes (2,300 mg) of sodium. Taking in an excessive amount of sodium can cause you to retain fluids and put on weight.
6. Instead of sugary sodas and juices, opt for plain water. Water will not contain nearly as many calories as sodas and juices, and it will keep you hydrated as well. Drinking water with your meals on a daily basis can also help you feel more satisfied, allowing you to consume fewer calories.
Method 2 Staying Active and Relaxed
1. At least 30 minutes of physical activity should be completed every day. Maintaining a healthy weight while taking Lyrica can be accomplished by remaining physically active and eating a nutritious diet. Despite the fact that you may find it difficult to engage in a significant amount of physical activity due to your medical condition, make an effort to engage in a small amount of physical activity every day. Going for a 30-minute brisk walk once a day or participating in a low-impact workout class at your local gym can help you maintain your weight loss goals.
You could enlist the help of a friend to go for a walk with you or attend a workout class with you to keep you motivated to maintain your fitness.
Exercise logs or apps can help you keep track of how much you’re doing so you can be sure you’re getting at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
2. Consider taking up cycling or swimming as a low-impact workout option. A great workout that is easy on your joints and muscles, cycling on a stationary bike or a regular bike is a great option. Swimming is also a great option if you don’t want to put too much stress on your body when you’re trying to get some exercise.
Take a cycling class at your local gym, or buy a good bike and go for long rides in the open air. Swim at a public pool, such as one at a gym or a community centre.
3. Reduce your stress levels by practising yoga or deep breathing techniques. High levels of stress can cause you to overeat emotionally and avoid being physically active, resulting in weight gain. Maintaining a healthy stress management routine, such as yoga or deep breathing exercises, can help you stay healthy while taking Lyrica.
Take up yoga at a local yoga studio or at your local fitness centre. You can also try your hand at yoga at home by following online tutorials or watching videos with an instructor.
Deep breathing exercises can be done first thing in the morning before you start your day or during your lunch break. Find a quiet, private location where you can sit in a relaxed position. Through your nose, inhale for a count of five times, and exhale through your nose for another count of five times. Continue to do this for 1-3 minutes, or until you feel relaxed.
4. Get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep per night. Being well rested can assist you in controlling your appetite and ensuring that you remain healthy while taking Lyrica. Make an effort to get at least 8 hours of good quality sleep every night. Make your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet, and you’ll be more relaxed. Preparing for bed should be a relaxing experience that includes things like reading a book or listening to music. Avoid using bright lights or electronic devices right before bed to get a better night’s sleep.
To maintain a consistent sleep schedule, go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning. This will assist your body in establishing a regular sleep pattern and ensuring that you get a good night’s sleep each night.
Method 3 Talking to Your Doctor
1. If you’re taking Lyrica, talk to your doctor about decreasing your dosage. Taking a lower dose of the medication may be necessary if you notice that you have gained 10 to 20 pounds (4.5 to 9.1 kg) within the first few months of taking the medication. Taking a low and effective dose means that there will be less of the drug cycling through your body, which will result in fewer side effects. Collaborate with your doctor to determine a dosage that is low enough to meet your medical needs while not causing you to gain a significant amount of weight.
You should never stop taking Lyrica completely without first consulting with your doctor, as this could result in other serious medical issues and side effects.
2. Consult your doctor about any other medications you are taking that may be causing you to gain weight. Weight gain may be more likely if you are taking other medications in addition to Lyrica, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or antipsychotics. Consult your doctor about adjusting your medication dosage or discontinuing use of some of these medications as needed to assist you in maintaining a healthy weight.
The use of certain medications, such as stimulatory drugs, can help to counterbalance the weight gain that may occur while taking Lyrica. It is possible that your doctor will recommend that you take these to help you lose weight while taking Lyrica.
3. Inquire with your doctor about the possibility of switching medications. If you believe that your weight gain is causing other health problems that outweigh the benefits of Lyrica, you may want to consider stopping the medication. Your doctor will instruct you to taper off the medication gradually so that you do not experience withdrawal symptoms. Afterwards, they may recommend that you take additional medications to address your medical issues without having to worry about gaining significant weight.
Be aware that Lyrica may be the most effective treatment option for certain conditions such as fibromyalgia in some cases. While taking the medication, you may want to experiment with dietary and lifestyle modifications to see if you can reap the benefits without gaining too much weight.
Creative Commons License