Diazinon is a highly effective pesticide that kills insects by interfering with their nervous systems. It is used in agriculture, as well as for insect control in lawns and gardens, among other things. Diazinon is extremely toxic, and extreme caution should be exercised when preparing it for use or mixing it with other substances. Take the necessary safety precautions and use the proper amount of diazinon to effectively mix diazinon for pest control purposes.
Part 1 Taking Safety Precautions
1. Before you use diazinon, make sure you understand the laws in your area. Before you begin mixing diazinon, check to see if it is legal to do so in your jurisdiction. Diazinon is prohibited for residential use in a number of jurisdictions. To find out if diazinon is prohibited in your area, contact your local government or check online for updates. If you are unsure, don’t use it because you could face a significant fine.
If diazinon is not properly disposed of, it can be extremely toxic to both wildlife and the environment.
2. Remove any people or animals from the area. Diazinon is a highly toxic pesticide that has the potential to cause damage to the nervous system of any animal or person who comes into contact with it. To begin mixing your diazinon, make sure that the area is free of people and animals who could be exposed to the chemical before you begin.
Diazinon has the potential to contaminate personal items such as toys and tools, so make sure to remove them from the area.
3. Work in an area that is well ventilated. When dizinon is used in high concentrations, it can release fumes that are noxious and potentially dangerous. It is critical that you work in a well-ventilated environment in order to avoid exposure to the neurotoxin in the air. If at all possible, combine the diazinon and water outside.
If there is a breeze or a fan in the area where you are working, make sure that the fumes are not being blown in the direction of others.
Because the toxic fumes can accumulate and remain in a room, it is not recommended to mix diazinon indoors.
4. Dress in long sleeves and long pants to keep your skin protected from the elements. Additionally, diazinon can enter your body by coming into contact with your skin and then entering your bloodstream. When you’re mixing diazinon, cover your skin with a thick long sleeve shirt, long pants, closed-toe shoes, and socks to prevent the chemical from getting on your skin.
Make sure to button your long sleeve shirt all the way up to reduce the amount of skin exposed.
Blue jeans are a good choice for long pants to wear in order to avoid exposure.
Consider wearing a chemical-resistant apron to prevent any of the chemical from getting on your clothes.
Please remember to wash any clothes that you have on after you have finished mixing diazinon!
5. When mixing diazinon, chemical-resistant gloves should be worn. Because your hands are the most at risk of coming into contact with the diazinon while you are mixing it, wear thick, chemical-resistant gloves to prevent any of the chemical from getting on your skin while you are mixing. Check that the gloves are the right size for your hand and that they can be tucked into the sleeve of your shirt so that all of your skin is protected.
Chemical resistant gloves are available at the majority of large chain stores.
6. Put on your protective eyewear. Diazinon contains a neurotoxin that has the potential to cause blindness. Basic safety goggles will aid in preventing any of the chemical from entering your eyes and causing damage. Wearing eye protection that covers the sides of your eyes will help to prevent exposure from a splashback or deflection of the spray. Diazinon is sprayed from a tank, so wear eye protection that covers the sides of your eyes as well.
Purchase safety glasses or goggles from major department stores or order them on the internet.
7. Use a respirator to keep the fumes from getting into your lungs. The diazinon spray mist is extremely easy to inhale accidentally, and the neurotoxin it contains can cause serious damage to your nervous system if breathed in. In order to avoid breathing in the mist or fumes that the chemical produces, you must wear a full-face respirator.
Make certain that the respirator is properly fitted to your face.
8. Keep a supply of paper towels and sawdust on hand in case of spills. Water should not be used to clean up a diazinon spill because it will only spread the diazinon around and could be harmful to the environment if it is released into the environment. Keep paper towels and absorbent materials such as sawdust or kitty litter on hand to quickly absorb any spills that may occur.
Keep garbage bags close by in case any cleanup materials need to be disposed of.
Part 2 Measuring the Right Amount of Diazinon
1. 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water should be added to a clean spray tank. Before you begin mixing your diazinon, you must first ensure that your spray tank is clean and in proper working order. 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water should be added to a clean spray tank, and the spray mechanism should be tested to ensure that the tank sprays properly.
To avoid contamination, always flush your spray tank with clean water after using diazinon to prevent it from becoming contaminated.
2. Diazinon should be added to the water in the spray tank in the appropriate amount. Diazinon is a highly adaptable pesticide that can be used to treat a wide range of plant species. It is critical that you use the proper amount of diazinon because using too little could render your plants ineffective and using too much could harm your plants and the surrounding environment. Pour the measured amount of water directly into the spray can without mixing it.
Lawn Insect Control: Add 1.5 teaspoons (7.4 mL) of diazinon to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water.
Roses, Flowers, Shrubs, and Shade Trees: Add 2 teaspoons (9.9 mL) of diazinon to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water.
Vegetables, Fruits, and Nuts: Add 2 teaspoons (9.9 mL) of diazinon to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water. Do not apply more than 5 times per growing season, and do not apply to fruits and vegetables in a greenhouse.
Fire Ant Control: Add 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of diazinon to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water.
Around House Foundations: Add 4 tablespoons (59 mL) of diazinon to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water. Only apply to the outside of a foundation, never indoors.
3. Shake the spray tank to ensure that the diazinon and water are thoroughly mixed. Once you’ve determined the proper amount of pesticide to use in your spray tank, close the container and shake it vigorously to thoroughly mix the water and diazinon. It is important not to reach into the tank to stir the mixture because you may be exposed to toxic fumes.
Before you begin shaking the container, double-check that it is completely sealed.
4. Use the mixture as soon as possible after preparing it. Once you’ve combined the water and diazinon in the spray tank and thoroughly mixed it together, use it immediately to treat your lawn, foundation, or plants with a fungicide. Because the fumes can accumulate in the spray tank and become toxic, it is best to use the pesticide as soon as possible so that you can then thoroughly clean out the spray tank afterward.
Do not store any unused diazinon in the spray tank.
Dispose of the diazinon at appropriate disposal sites.
If you’re in the US, you can call 1-800-253-2687 to find a disposal location near you.
Do not pour the diazinon into a drain or garbage can! It can damage the environment or harm another person who is exposed to it!
Creative Commons License