Suspenders aren’t just for formal attire; they’re also a great addition to jeans, transforming a simple outfit into something more stylized and contemporary. Try wearing them with slim jeans and a button-up shirt, or choose a patterned pair to dress up a plain top. You can also go for a more relaxed look by wearing them with jean shorts and a long-sleeved shirt. No matter how you style your jeans and suspenders, chances are you’ll look and feel more stylish and put-together as a result of doing so.
Method 1 Picking Bottoms
1. Choose jeans that are tighter in the waist to avoid looking sloppy in your outfit. Jeans that are slim fit or skinny will look better with suspenders than jeans that are loose or wide-legged, regardless of whether they are worn by a man or by a woman. Suspenders give your outfit a deliberate appearance, so you want to make sure the rest of your outfit complements that look.
Suspenders worn with jeans are more about the aesthetics of the look than the functionality of the suspenders themselves. They may actually assist you in keeping your pants up, but their primary function is for aesthetic purposes.
2. Cropped jeans and a light blouse are perfect for a bohemian-inspired look. This look is a departure from the classic tight-pants and button-up-shirt look, but it can be extremely fun, stylish, and comfortable to wear when you’re out and about in the city or on the weekend. Wear capris or cropped jeans (which can be slim-fit or a little looser depending on your preference), tuck in a loose button-up blouse (which can be long or short sleeved), and accessorise with a pair of leather or light-colored suspenders to create a bohemian ensemble.
Allowing the blouse to hang a little allows it to appear more flowy when it is tucked in, rather than pulling it down too tightly,
Instead of a button-up shirt, you can simply wear one with no buttons on the front or back. Just make sure to tuck it away properly.
3. Pair a pair of jean shorts with a long-sleeved shirt for a nerdy but still cute ensemble. Enjoy this fun and casual look that is perfect for the late spring and early fall months. Choose your favourite pair of jean shorts and tuck in a light sweater or blouse for a comfortable and stylish look. Suspenders can be worn with this outfit to complete the look.
If you’ll be spending time in the sun, consider wearing a floppy hat with this ensemble.
If the temperature is too high for a long-sleeved shirt, you could opt for a short-sleeved shirt and jean shorts instead, as shown here.
4. Dark jeans are a good choice for a more modern look. If you’re going to wear jeans and suspenders, dark indigo, grey, black, and other darker shades of denim are classic colours to choose from. When it comes to selecting a top and matching suspenders, they give you a great deal of freedom to express yourself. Make a strong contrast between your top and your bottoms by wearing lighter shirts, and then pair that outfit with bright suspenders to make it stand out even more.
Continue to keep things on the more sombre side by pairing your dark jeans with a top that is either more muted or darker in colour, such as forest green or deep brown. If you choose to do so, choose a pair of suspenders that are light in colour to create a pleasing contrast.
5. Lighter-colored jeans will give you a more laid-back appearance. It is still possible to look put-together and neat in this outfit; however, the lighter colour scheme will give your ensemble a more laid-back vibe. Saturday and Sunday mornings spent running errands or going to brunch are ideal for this outfit. If you choose light jeans, pair them with a darker top to balance out the colours, or wear a white top with dark-colored suspenders to make a more dramatic statement.
Inspiration for how to wear suspenders with jeans can be found in fashion magazines and online fashion sites.
Method 2 Styling Your Top
1. Tuck a long-sleeved button-up shirt into your pants for a modern, streamlined appearance. When it comes to jeans and suspenders fashion, the most common look is to pair jeans with a long-sleeved button-up shirt. This is advantageous because there are a plethora of designs and colours available for you to select from.
A casual button-down shirt, such as an Oxford button-down (which has buttons on the collar and lapels), in a more casual fabric, such as chambray, would be ideal for this occasion. A look like this, when worn with dark jeans, is both stylish and daring.
In the event that you become overheated or prefer a more casual appearance, you can always roll up the sleeves to your elbows.
2. During the warmer months, opt for a short-sleeved button-up shirt that can be tucked in. This is a look that would be appropriate for a spring or summer dinner out, but it could also be appropriate for the workplace, depending on your profession and the occasion. Remember to match a patterned shirt with a solid-toned pair of suspenders, and the reverse is true as well.
You could also try rolling up your sleeves once or twice for a more relaxed look.
Avoid wearing sleeveless shirts with suspenders unless absolutely necessary. That look is usually more reminiscent of a firefighter’s uniform than it is of a fun, cool aesthetic.
3. Wear a soft cotton top for a relaxed, unstructured appearance. This look is a little less conventional, but it can be pulled off if you’re really intentional about your personal style and dressing accordingly. Make your choice between long or short sleeves, and make sure the neckline comes at least halfway up your collar bones. Ensure that you are wearing slim trousers rather than baggy ones; otherwise, your outfit will appear sloppy.
Make an effort to choose a top that will not become too baggy during the course of the day.
4. A blazer can be worn over your ensemble to add an extra touch of sophistication. Whether you’re working in the office and want to dress up your jeans a little more, or you’re going out for a fun evening, this is a great look to try. Choose a blazer that is a darker shade than your jeans, but one that does not match it too closely. When you’re walking around, put your hands in your pockets to keep your blazer from falling down and revealing your suspenders.
Continue to wear your blazer with the buttons undone so that your suspenders can be seen through it.
5. Allow the suspenders to fall to the floor for a punk-rock look. This is a very specific look that can be extremely fun for concerts, music festivals, or even just a night out with friends. It is also very versatile. Instead of appearing modern or put-together, the goal is to appear casual. Allow the suspenders to hang from one shoulder only, and allow the entire ensemble to hang down from that shoulder.
If you do this, be cautious not to become entangled in anything. The last thing you want is for your suspenders to catch on something, such as a doorknob, and cause you or someone else to be injured.
This look can be worn with either regular-length jeans or with jean shorts or capris, depending on your preference. It all depends on the overall look you want to achieve.
Method 3 Choosing Suspenders
1. Choose button-suspenders for a more streamlined and refined appearance. Button-suspenders do exactly what they say on the tin: they button directly into your jeans rather than clipping the waistband. This look is great if you prefer a more classic style and don’t care for the shiny metal that comes with the clip-suspenders, as described above.
If your jeans do not come with buttons already sewn into them, you will need to do so by hand. Despite the fact that it will take a little more effort, your outfit will come out looking fantastic!
2. Suspenders with clips are a simple and easy-to-wear wardrobe staple that will last for years. These are quite popular because they are simple to put on and because you don’t have to worry about sewing any suspender buttons into the pants. The majority of clips are silver, though you can order gold-toned ones on the internet.
One of the disadvantages of clip-suspenders is that they can cause damage to the waistband of your jeans on rare occasions.
3. If you’re wearing a patterned shirt, suspenders in a solid colour will look best. Keep your outfit from becoming too busy by wearing two contrasting patterns. Choose a vibrant colour, such as red, pink, green, or blue, or go for a more muted hue if you’re concerned about appearing too flashy or out of place.
Neutral colours such as tan, black, brown, and navy are excellent wardrobe staples to have in your collection for everyday use.
4. If you’re wearing a single-toned shirt, choose patterned suspenders to contrast with it. This adds a wonderful pop of colour as well as a dash of style to your ensemble. A great way to show off some cool suspenders and to create a signature look, it’s also very practical.
This is similar to how you would choose which tie to wear with a dress shirt. a dress shirt You want the colours and tones to complement one another rather than visually overpowering the space.
5. If you’re going to be wearing a bow tie, choose suspenders that are the same colour as your tie. Choose a colour or pattern that complements, but does not exactly match, the suspenders’ colour or pattern. If you match your clothes too closely, your outfit will appear less stylish and nerdier (but if that’s the vibe you’re going for, go for it!). When wearing navy blue suspenders with white polka dots, for example, try pairing them with a bow tie in one of the following colours: pink, yellow, or green.
Colors and styles should be mixed and matched according to your best fashion judgement. It is not necessary to look good if you do not like what you are wearing.
6. If your shoes and suspenders are both made of leather, match your suspenders to your shoes. If only one item (such as the shoes or the suspenders) is made of leather, you have complete freedom in how you style it. However, if they are both made of leather, make sure the colours complement each other so that your outfit looks neat and fashionable.
It is not necessary for the suspenders to be the same colour as your shoes. Simply choose a shoe that is in the brown family if you have a chocolate brown suspender so that it doesn’t look too matchy.
When wearing different shades of leather in the same outfit, it can look shabby, so try to buy items in the same colour family when you go shopping.
Creative Commons License