Most games are more enjoyable when played with people you know and like. Furthermore, games are a great way to meet new people and form long-lasting friendships. Try a few different methods for finding gamer friends; just like a game, you’ll get better at it the more you do it!
Method 1 Making Friends During Gameplay
1. Remember which players you enjoy playing with. Remember or write down the username of a gamer with whom you had fun playing. If you see them again, you’ll be able to recall aspects of their playing that you enjoy, or if they mentioned something specific while playing, you’ll be able to discuss it with them.
Compliments are an excellent way to initiate contact for the first time. Let someone know if you liked a strategy they used or if you noticed a great move they made. Saying something as simple as “great shot!” may not seem like much, but it lets them know you noticed them.
2. When you see them online, contact them. Message a user you had fun playing with and ask if they want to play again. Consider logging in around the time you last played with them to improve your chances of seeing them online.
Many games allow you to “friend” another player, which will notify you when they log into the game. This way, you’ll be able to see when your new friend is playing and invite them to join you at any time.
As an example, say, “Yesterday’s game was fantastic! Do you want to try another one?”
3. Make plans to play together later. If you want to be more formal, you can ask someone if they’d like to play again soon, setting a date and time. This can be a good way to cement new friendships. Try phrases like, “I had a great time playing with you!” “Would you like to play again soon?”
“You’re very good at this. “Would you like to play another?”
4. Remember to keep it light. While you may be looking for lifelong friendships, they may only be interested in playing another round with you. Don’t ask for personal information right away, and never give it up unless you feel safe doing so.
If you ever feel unsafe while conversing with another user (for example, if they ask for personal information like your full name, phone number, mailing address, or other sensitive information), block them or stop conversing with them.
Only share personal information if you believe it will benefit your friendship and will not be used maliciously by another person. For example, if a friend gives you their first name and then asks for yours, it’s probably not too much of a stretch to give them yours. You could even use a fictitious name. However, if the same person asks where you live, where you go to school, or where you work, it’s not a good idea to reveal that information.
If your friend ever wants to meet in person, make sure you have a phone or video chat with them first so you can confirm their identity. Avoid drinking alcohol when meeting up, as it can impair your judgement and lead to an unsafe situation.
Method 2 Using Social Media and Apps
1. Find gamer friends on Reddit’s r/GamerPals. Make a post on r/GamerPals informing subscribers of the game you want to play and your timezone. This subreddit is solely dedicated to finding people to play with online. It has over 23,000 subscribers, and you can request that people play whatever game you’re currently playing.
To post on r/GamerPals, you must first sign up for Reddit.
Post titles usually include your age, gender, location, timezone, and the game you want to play (for example, 28/M/US, CST, looking to play Far Cry 5).
2. On Facebook, look for groups. Search for the game you want to play in Facebook’s search bar, then click the “Group” button to narrow your search to just that group. Several groups are frequently available for each game. Simply click the “Join Group” button, and a moderator will add you. You can then begin posting in the timeline to see who wants to play.
Avoid mentioning that you’re looking for “friends,” as this may lead people to believe you’re looking for a big commitment. Instead, simply state that you need someone to play today or tomorrow. Maintain a relaxed and informal atmosphere.
Try something like this: “Hello everyone, I’m looking for someone to play Far Cry 5 with tomorrow at 5pm CST! Is anyone interested in playing?”
3. Find gamer friends by using apps and websites. To make new gamer friends, you can use your computer, tablet, or phone to access a variety of apps and websites. To learn more, type “game chat app” or “find gamer friends online” into your preferred search engine.
Gamr2Gamr allows you to search for games that other users are playing. When you find a user you like, send them a friend request and start playing together.
GamerLink is an app that allows you to post on a gaming forum and describe exactly what you’re looking for (for example, “I need a tank and a healer”). When people respond to your post, you can add them to your friend list and invite them to play again later.
Find Gaming Buddies is a website that provides user lists organised by game. Simply click on a game to view the people who are currently playing that game. You can ask people to play by sending a message through the website.
Method 3 Finding Gamer Friends Offline
1. Ask around at your local game store to see what people are playing. Go to your favourite video game store and ask the employees what they’re playing. If it’s the same game you enjoy playing, consider asking them if they’d like to join you. Inform them right away that you are looking for someone. Attempt phrases like: ” “I’ve been looking for people to play Call of Duty with. Would you be interested in playing with me someday?”
“I enjoy Call of Duty and am working hard to improve my skills. “Would you like to play together soon to help each other improve?”
2. Meetup.com can help you find gaming groups. Visit meetup.com and look into the various options for video game groups in your area. Meetup is a website that allows you to find different groups of people to “meet up” with in person. There are numerous topic filters on the site, including:
Once you’ve chosen a topic, scroll to the bottom and select “Show all.” Then click “Find a Meetup Group near you.” The site will show all the relevant groups meeting near you.
3. Gamers can be found at gaming conventions. Attend a gaming convention, which will undoubtedly be packed with like-minded gamers. Start conversations with people and find out what games they enjoy playing. If you discover that someone else enjoys the same game as you, don’t be afraid to ask if you can play sometime: ” “I’ve had a great time speaking with you! Would you like to play Call of Duty with me sometime?”
“You appear to be a nice person. “Would you like to play Call of Duty online after the convention?”
Use search terms such as “gaming conventions in San Antonio” or “gamer conventions in New York” to find gaming conventions in your area.
4. Request that your friends and acquaintances connect you. If you have video game friends, ask them if they know anyone who might be interested in playing with you. They may have gaming buddies they’d be willing to introduce you to.
Creative Commons License