White pants are timeless, clean, and versatile. They’re a cool summer staple, but you can also find heavier fabrics that are ideal for a chic winter look. White pants are the perfect neutral backdrop for almost any style, whether you’re trying to keep it casual or dressing to impress.
Method 1 Styling a Casual Look
1. Keep it simple with a solid-colored T-shirt and a pair of loose-fitting white pants. If you have white jeans, cargo pants, capris, or any other casual white pants, pair them with a plain T-shirt in any solid colour, though printed or striped tees can also be worn. If a graphic tee is more your style, go ahead and wear it.
Wear a fitted black T-shirt for a chic, bold look, or add a pop of colour to stand out.
Keep this look ultra-casual by wearing it with your favourite sneakers, or dress it up with a pair of heels or dress shoes.
If the weather is cool, pair your white pants with a long-sleeved T-shirt!
2. For a denim-on-denim look, pair a chambray shirt with white jeans. If you like the relaxed, lived-in look of chambray but can’t find the right pants, try a pair of white jeans. You can wear your denim shirt tucked in or untucked, and you can dress up or down the outfit with the right shoes and accessories.
For example, if you prefer a feminine look, you could wear your hair loose and wavy and accessorise with a pair of copper-toned jewelled sandals, a pastel belt, and a pendant necklace.
If you prefer a more masculine look, wear your shirt tucked in with a leather belt and camel-colored chukka boots.
3. Wear white linen pants to hide your swimsuit. If you’re wearing a one-piece or a bikini to the beach or pool, white linen pants are a breezy way to cover up if you want to grab lunch or go shopping. Simply add a pair of sandals if you want to be a little more daring, or a lightweight button-up top if you want more coverage.
Keep in mind that if you’re wearing a brightly coloured swimsuit, it may show through your pants.
Wear white linen pants with a cropped halter top, oversized sunglasses, and straw wedges to recreate this look even if you aren’t swimming.
4. Wear a striped shirt and white pants for a nautical look. Wear a navy-and-white boatneck top with horizontal stripes with wide-legged white trousers to channel your inner sailor. If you prefer a more subtle nod, you can go with vertical stripes, different colours on top, or a different cut for the top and pants.
For example, you could pair a light blue button-down with vertical white stripes, white skinny jeans, and white espadrilles for a seaside-inspired look that isn’t too literal.
5. Layer several white pieces for a chic monochrome look. White pants are the ideal starting point for an all-white ensemble. To add visual interest to your outfit, experiment with different fabrics and textures.
For a street-style inspired monochrome look, pair ripped white cargo pants with a white T-shirt, white denim jacket, and all-white high-top sneakers.
Consider incorporating a brightly coloured shoe for a fun pop of colour.
6. To keep warm in cool weather, throw on a leather or denim jacket. Although white pants can look a little dressy at times, leather and denim jackets are the perfect way to keep your outfit casual when the weather begins to cool. If you want to be super casual, layer your jacket over a graphic tee, or throw on a button-down for a dressy-casual look.
To make this look even more casual, wear a pair of canvas basketball shoes or low-heeled sneakers in white or a bright, cheerful colour.
7. In the winter, pair a cosy, slim-fitting sweater with wide-leg white pants. There’s no reason to stop wearing white after Labor Day these days. When it’s bitterly cold outside, put on your favourite snug sweater and wide-leg pants for a winter-white look you can wear almost anywhere.
To stay warm and stylish, complete this look with a pair of ankle boots in your favourite colour.
If you prefer, you can pair an oversized sweater with skinny-leg white trousers. Simply avoid wearing baggy top and bottom pieces.
Method 2 Dressing up White Pants
1. For a feminine summer look, pair a flowy top with white skinny jeans. Choose a flowy blouse, white skinny jeans, and tan-colored wedge heels or loafers for a romantic outfit ideal for a summer lunch date. Wear simple jewellery, such as a pretty tennis bracelet or a pendant on a thin chain.
On a hot day, chiffon, jersey, seersucker, cotton, and linen are all excellent fabrics for staying cool.
2. For an elegant night out, pair a halter or tank with sleek white trousers. Wear a pair of white trousers with a dressy halter top for a feminine look that’s perfect for a night out on the town. Then, if it gets cool, you can layer on a long vest or a blazer to keep warm.
For a glam girl’s night, you could wear a gold sequined halter with a long white duster and strappy gold heels.
For a chic, bold look, pair your white pants with a black tank top, black blazer, and black heels.
3. For a daytime look, pair a colourful top with white pants. Wear a brightly coloured blouse or button-down with straight-legged white pants to a weekend get-together where you need to dress up, such as brunch with friends. For even more style, try a pattern like polka dots or floral print. Then, finish with a pair of neutral loafers or mules for an effortlessly cool look that can be worn anywhere.
Wear a salmon-colored button-down over a white crew-neck tee with white trousers and a pair of dark brown boat shoes or loafers, for example.
For a trendy take on this look, try an off-the-shoulder chambray top, white skinny jeans, and tan mules.
4. Put on a blazer and white slacks for a casual work look. If you have a pair of work-appropriate white pants, pair them with a light-colored button-down and a structured blazer for a put-together and professional look. Accessorize with tasteful accessories and dress shoes to complete the look.
If you’re going out for drinks after work, wear a casual button-down, a lacy camisole, or a graphic tee.
5. Dress up your winter look with a warm white top and white wool pants. Begin with a pair of cosy white wool pants, then layer on a white sweater or another weather-appropriate white top for a winter-white take on the monochrome look. Then, for a look that is as stylish as it is warm, add a white scarf, shoes, and accessories.
Accessorize with gold jewellery or pops of a bright colour like red or yellow to add some contrast.
Method 3 Accessorizing Your Look
1. For a more understated look, wear white dress socks. If you’re wearing socks with your shoes, it’s a good idea to match your socks to your pants. Unless your outfit is very sporty, look for a thin pair of white dress socks, as thick cotton gym socks can look too casual with dress pants.
For example, if you’re wearing white jeans, a white sweatshirt, and white high-tops, a pair of white gym socks should look fine. A white suit coat would look out of place with white trousers, a navy suit coat, and brown shoes.
When wearing sandals or heels, you usually don’t need to wear socks.
2. If you want to add a splash of colour, go for bold socks. Socks in a fun colour or pattern will really stand out against the hem of your white pants if you’re not afraid to make a statement. Match them to another colour in your outfit, or use them to add a splash of colour to an otherwise neutral look.
For example, if you’re wearing all black with white pants, a pair of grey, black, and pink argyle socks will add a fun element.
If you’re wearing a blue and red plaid shirt, you could match your socks to the blue or red in your shirt.
3. Coordinate your belt with the rest of your outfit. When selecting a belt, you can go all-white to match your pants, or you can go with a colour that complements the rest of your outfit. Wearing a belt that matches the colour of your shoes, purse, or other accessories is usually a good idea. If you prefer, you can add a pop of colour to your outfit by wearing a belt in a bright colour.
For example, if you’re wearing brown shoes, you should wear a brown belt. Wearing a yellow belt, on the other hand, will complement your shoes while adding an unexpected pop to your outfit.
Of course, you are not required to wear a belt if you do not wish to.
4. Wear nude underwear so that they don’t show through your pants. Try to find underwear that matches your natural skin tone as closely as possible. White underwear can create a stark contrast with your skin. To avoid visible underwear lines, look for styles that are high-cut, thong, or seamless.
If you can’t find underwear that matches your skin tone, try dying a pair yourself with coffee, tea, or commercial dye.
Creative Commons License