Among Us is a well-known multiplayer game. It can be played either online or with your friends. The ability to communicate with other players is an important aspect of the game. Communicating by voice allows you to relay information much faster and gives you more options for detecting deception. Unfortunately, there is no in-game voice chat in Among Us. To use voice chat in Among Us, you’ll need to download a third-party app. You can use a standard voice-chat application such as Discord. PC players can use the “Crewlink” proximity voice-chat mod. This ehowto teaches you how to use the voice chat feature in Among Us.
Method 1 Using Discord
1. Download Discord. Discord is available for Android from the Google Play Store, iPhone and iPad from the App Store, and Windows and Mac from the official Discord download page. Use the following steps to download and install Discord:
- Android & iOS:
- Open the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Tap Search (iPhone and iPad only).
- Enter “Discord” in the search bar.
- Tap GET or INSTALL next to the Discord app.
- PC & Mac:
- Go to https://discord.com/download in a web browser.
- Click the Download button for your PC operating system.
- Open the installation file in your “Downloads” folder.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
2. Go to https://top.gg/servers/tag/among-us in a web browser. You can use any web browser on PC or a mobile device. This page displays a list of Discord servers for Among Us.
3. Click or tap Join below a server you want to join. This opens the information page for the server.
4. Join Server can be accessed by clicking or tapping on the button. It’s at the top of the server’s information page. This will launch either the Discord app or Discord in your web browser.
If you are not already signed in to Discord, enter your Discord email address and password and click or tap Login. If you don’t already have an account, click or tap Register and fill out the form to set one up.
If you are prompted to choose which app to open the link in, select Discord and Always.
5. Click or tap Accept Invite. This adds you to the Discord server. You can now access the server using Discord.
6. Launch Discord. Open Discord if it isn’t already open. It has a blue icon with an image of a game controller in the shape of a smiley face. To open Discord on your PC or mobile device, click or tap the icon.
7. Tap ☰ (mobile phone app only). It’s the icon with three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner. This displays the menu.
8. Click or tap the server icon you just joined. In the panel to the left, you’ll find a list of icons. This displays a list of the server’s channels.
Before you can join some servers, you may need to complete additional steps, such as agreeing to the community rules.
9. Select a voice-chat channel for the server by clicking or tapping on it. The channels are listed in the left-hand panel. Text channels are denoted by a “#” sign. Next to voice channels is an icon that looks like a speaker. To join a voice chat, tap a channel that has a speaker icon next to it. You will be immediately connected to the voice channel.
When using a voice channel, it is recommended that you use earbuds or headphones with a microphone.
Some servers may have a unique method for joining a game/channel. Before you join a chat, read the rules for that server.
10. Get the code for a game called Among Us. If the game code is not listed on the server, ask one of the other players for it so you can join the game. Keep in mind that only 10 people can participate in a game at the same time. If the game is full, you should try a different channel.
11. Come Among Us. To launch Among Us, click or tap the Among Us icon on your home screen, desktop, Applications folder (Mac), Apps menu, or Start menu. Discord will remain active in the background.
12. Click or tap Online. This displays a list of options to play an Online game.
13. Enter the code by clicking or tapping the Enter Code button. It’s at the bottom of the page, just below the word “Private.” This brings up the keyboard.
Alternatively, you can host your own game by clicking or tapping Create Game at the top of the page. When the game is created, the code will be listed at the bottom of the lobby. Give the code to any other players you want to join.
14. Enter the code and press the OK button or tap. This establishes your connection to the game. You can now play the game and converse with other players.
On mobile devices, tap the Discord icon in the upper-left corner of the screen to access the Discord controls.
To avoid spoiling the game for others, Among Us asks that all players keep quiet except during emergency meetings. Except during emergency meetings and in between games, keep your microphone muted during a game.
If you’re playing Among Us on PC, it’s best to play it in window mode rather than fullscreen. This makes it easier to switch between Among Us and Discord.
Discord can be used to communicate with players on any platform.
You can also use an app like Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, or Skype to voice-chat with your friends while playing Among Us.
Method 2 Using Crewlink Proximity Chat (PC Only)
1. Among Us is available on Steam. Crewlink is a mod for Among Us that adds in-game proximity voice-chat. This means you can talk to other players in the game while you’re playing. Their voices become more audible as they get closer. This mod is only compatible with the PC version of Among Us from Steam. Among Us costs $5 to buy and download from Steam. To download Among Us from Steam, follow these steps:
- Open Steam.
- Type “Among Us” in the search bar and press “Enter.”.
- Click Among Us at the top of the search results.
- Click Add to cart.
- Click Purchase for myself.
- Enter your payment information if not on record
- Click Continue
- Click Install Content.
2. Download Crewlink. Crewlink is only available for Windows. The Crewlink app will launch as soon as it finishes installing. Use the following steps to download and install the Crewlink mod:
- Go to https://github.com/ottomated/CrewLink/releases in a web browser.
- Click the Crewlink Setup “.exe” file for the latest version of Crewlink.
- Double-click the Crewlink setup file in your “Downloads” folder.
- If Windows warns against running the setup file, click More info and then click Run anyway.
3. Open Crewlink. If Crewlink is not already opened, click the Crewlink icon in the Windows Start menu to run Crewlink. It has a blue icon with a purple crewmate on it.
4. Open Steam. You will need to have Steam open to launch Among Us from inside Crewlink. If it’s not already open, double-click the Steam icon to launch Steam.
5. Inside Crewlink, click the Open Game button. This launches Among Us, complete with proximity chat.
To access the Settings menu, click the gear icon in the upper-left corner of Crewlink. This allows you to configure the voice distance, set in-game options such as hearing imposters in vents, select your mic and speaker output, and configure your push-to-talk settings.
The server can only accommodate a certain number of users. If you receive an error message stating that there are too many people on the server, close Among Us and relaunch Crewlink by clicking Relaunch App. If the issue persists, try again at a later time.
6. Participate in a game. Crewlink will function in any game. It can be both public and private. If you open Crewlink in a separate window, it will display all players in the game and highlight players with a green circle when you are close to them. Players with a red circle around them do not have or are not using Crewlink.
Creative Commons License